List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Erratic synaptic touchpad behavior on 2.6.9 kernel
From:       "Bryan D. Stine" <battousai () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-31 6:44:24

On Thursday 30 December 2004 10:05 pm, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario laptop with a Synaptics touchpad -- including a
> "wheel" on the right. It seems to be erratic -- the pointer is jumpy and
> the "taps" sometimes happen on their own -- with the 2.6.9
> "gentoo-dev-sources" kernel, but it's fine with the 2.4.25 and 2.4.26
> kernels. I'm not sure what to look for; I'll report a bug eventually
> when I figure out what's happening, but that might take some time.
> Meanwhile, do any of you know what I need to look at? Driver settings,
> boot-time kernel parameters, config files, etc.? I'm running Gentoo
> 2004.3 / xorg / kde 3.3.2 and the latest Enlightenment.

If everything works fine with 2.4 and not 2.6, I think your 2.6 kernel might
be identifying synaptics as an input event device. The 2.4 kernel driver
identifies it as a PS/2 mouse. When using synaptics touchpads as event
devices, you need to setup another InputDevice in xorg.conf.

The synaptics ebuild installs documentation with rather sane defaults
into /usr/share/doc/synaptics-[version]/INSTALL.gz. The config directives
used are explained in README.gz.

I hope this helps.

--
Bryan D. Stine