List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines / policy for gentoo hosted projects
From:       Dylan Carlson <absinthe () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-28 14:14:59

On Tue December 28 2004 08:46, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> just because it compiles doesnt mean it works well
>
> as zx mentioned to me a while ago, doing kaffe on hppa sucked because it
> wasnt as full featured and other jvm's

This is way, way off-topic, but just to point out a few things:

One: there's also sablevm.  Two: either kaffe or sablevm are quite
functional despite what you may think.  They are not suitable for gaming
vs Sun's JRE, admittedly.  Sound support is lacking in Classpath[2], for
example... but for the purposes of something like portage, commandline
tools and server-side stuff it's feature-complete and fairly stable
considering the massive amount of stuff it provides.

I'll give you an obvious example:  People are running Eclipse with kaffe
and sablevm, which is a pretty tall order as far as Java GUI apps go.

In a sign that this stuff is becoming fairly mature, Debian is close on
their free-java-sdk[3] stuff.  I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's
definitely usable.

Refs:
[1] http://sablevm.org/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/classpath.html