List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Addition to /usr/portage/license - Hyperic
From:       Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-28 13:41:06

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 09:41:34PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:37:40 -0500 Jonathan Smith
> <masterdebater@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> | http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2
> |
> | note where the LICENSE ebuild variable is being explained: " This
> | variable specifies what license the program is covered under, i.e.
> | GPL-2, BSD, etc... This field must be set to a valid license (which is
> | any license found in /usr/portage/license/). If the license does not
> | already exist there, it must be added before the ebuild can be added
> | to the portage tree."
>
> Indeed. No mention of emailing -dev about it.

My 0.02EUR would be: all OSI and FSF-approved licenses should be allowed
without a big debate.

Some commercial packages may have strange licenses which prohibit you from
working on various open-source projects after you've agreed to them (the
source code access to the the Sun J2SDK is that way). It would at least be
good to give -dev a heads up when you add projects covered by such a license.

-- Karl T