List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] glep31check tool
From:       Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-27 20:11:40

GLEP 31 (character sets) time again! glep31check is a tool to check one
or more files or directories for GLEP 31 compliance. It can't actually
fix broken files yet, but it'll (usually) tell you if anything is not
valid UTF-8.

Usually, because certain weird combinations of ISO-8859-* accented
characters look like valid UTF-8, so it's not possible to detect every
possible error.

Ebuild:  http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/overlay/app-portage/glep31check/
Docs:    http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/tools/glep31check/
GLEP 31: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0031.html

If you want to check the entire tree:

glep31check --quiet --recursive gentoo-x86/

If you want details on a particular file:

glep31check --snippet gentoo-x86/app-accessibility/brltty/ChangeLog

There's a man page as well, since I was feeling generous.

Looking through the tree currently... Most of the violations are due to
names in the ChangeLog. Those're easy enough to fix with iconv -- I'll
go through and fix them all sometime. However... There are a few really
nasty ones. Seems someone (name removed because I'm lazy and I forgot
who it was) has an editor which likes to insert non-breaking spaces
rather than proper spaces. This is *really* broken. Don't do that!

I'll get proper instructions on UTF-8ing non-Vim editors whenever I can
hunt down the relevant people. Then I'll turn the whole thing into a
nice pretty doc, and hopefully we'll be able to get the checker
integrated with repoman at some point. But for now, please test the tool
and let me know of any problems.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm