List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo beeping at me!
From:       Ed Grimm <paranoid () gentoo ! evolution ! tgape ! org>
Date:       2004-11-26 23:55:14

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Georgi Georgiev wrote:

> maillog: 26/11/2004-10:17:34(+0000): Ciaran McCreesh types
>> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:25:10 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@gg3.net>
>> wrote:
>>| I have nothing against in-line docs in general. I simply had trouble
>>| imagining it in the bash case.
>>|
>>| What about using perldoc itself? Simply prepend every doc line with a
>>| '#', then run
>>|
>>| awk '/^#/ { sub("#",""); print }
>>
>> In bash? How would that work?
>
> I imagined
>
> #=item blah blah
> # more POD
> # and more
> # and more
> #=cut

Note that Pod::Parser has a method (preprocess_line) which one could
utilize to do the strip without requiring an awk pre-processing step.

That being said, as the pod reformatting packages are written as
Pod::Parser subclasses, I'm not certain if it could be utilized
gracefully without limiting the potential output formats.  It may be
possible to make a generic class which does the magic, and a magical
subclass of that class which inherits from both it and a particular
formatting subclass, such that preprocess_line comes from the generic
class, and everything else comes from the formatting subclass.

Ed