List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] policy on case [in]sEnsiTiViTy to ebuild names
From:       Grant Goodyear <g2boojum () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-11-26 18:49:04

Christian Parpart wrote: [Thu Nov 25 2004, 05:49:25PM CST]
> I recently came into an issue of the ebuild names. usually I
> write them all lower case (that is: as-is), but recently, I
> run into packages to be submittet, that HavE different cAsEs.
> Namely the freedesktop's xlibs and xserver.
>
> In xlibs, there're packages called libXcomposite, libX11 etc..
> I'd like to preserve the case in portage, too since doing
> everything in lowercase doesn't really enheance readability
> overall, and we already have (especially on dev-perl) packages
> that also have upper-cases anyway.
>
> So, what's the policy on it?

As the developer handbook states: "[the package name] should contain
lowercase letters, the digits 0-9, and any number of single hyphen,
underscore, or plus characters. [...] We have some packages in Portage
that don't follow these rules, but _your_ packages should".

The long-standing policy is, indeed, that all package names should be
lowercase, and a bit of of bash trickery, MY_P=${P/FooBar/foobar}, makes
following this policy pretty straightforward.  Perl packages are an
(unwritten) exception to this rule mainly for historical reasons.

Hope that helps,
g2boojum
--
Grant Goodyear