List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] syslog-ng
From:       Ed Grimm <paranoid () gentoo ! evolution ! tgape ! org>
Date:       2004-11-24 2:23:12

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Paul de Vrieze wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:38, Ed Grimm wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Konstantin V. Gavrilenko wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> just thought I should mention this.
>>>
>>> if you setup a syslog-ng server that binds to an interface and listens
>>> to collect incoming logs, at the next reboot it will fail to do so. I
>>> believe this issue is due to the order of execution of the init.d
>>> initialization scripts, since syslog-ng is started before the net.ethX
>>> scripts are executed. The exim would not start following the failure
>>> of the syslog-ng.
>>
>> My experience is, this is actually unpredictable - net.ethX does not
>> provide 'net', and so whether syslog-ng (or, for that matter, any other
>> syslog service) starts up before or after the network is established is
>> anyone's guess.  Given the total number of places it can start up on a
>> typical system, I would guess that it probably usually starts after the
>> network has initialized.
>
> Syslog-ng should, like iptables, bind to an interface even if it is not up.
> There are reasons to start the logger as soon as possible. Alternatively you
> could signal syslog-ng to reload itself again just before exim loads.

Well, that's just great.  Just after I thought I knew *exactly* what was
going on, I managed to get a boot order that worked, that I thought
wouldn't work.  Syslog-ng started, followed by iptables, followed by
net.  Apparently, what was preventing syslog-ng from starting was not
the absence of net.  I'm going to investigate this one further.

On the bright side, I have iptables starting reliably before net.  So
half of my problem appears to be solved.

(For reference, I've had about 6 boots where syslog-ng failed, starting
before net, and no failures where syslog-ng started fine, starting after
net (around 10-15 boots).  One boot where syslog-ng succeeded, starting
before net.  Syslog-ng last updated before I noticed the problem in the
first place.)

Ed