List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
From:       Ed Grimm <paranoid () gentoo ! evolution ! tgape ! org>
Date:       2004-10-31 6:30:47

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Kurt Lieber wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 01:29:50PM -0700 or thereabouts, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>> We should offer a parallel survey to developers only to gauge the impact
>> on that community.
>
> I don't really consider the two communities separate.  Developers are users
> to and would be encouraged to vote in the poll asking about the value of
> the service.

I think that depends a lot on exactly what you mean by developer.  If,
by developer, you mean those people who've been graced with gentoo.org
accounts, I suspect that, as far as attitudes go, you're probably right.

If, on the other hand, you mean those people who think of themselves as
developers, and anyone else who actively assists with gentoo
development, you might be surprised - Gentoo is apparently getting some
real users (by that, I mean users who are not also developers), and
their attitudes on what works and what doesn't typically varies greatly
from those of developers.  In some instances, what developers feel is
merely annoying is a complete obstacle to a user.  In others, what
developers are highly concerned about makes no difference to a user.

Ed