List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
From:       Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-10-30 20:44:50

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:38:50 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
<wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
| The idea was to simply change the "default" USE flags based on the
| profile.  Someone using the desktop/gnome profile would have things
| automatically enabled in their USE flags that are not enabled with the
| standard system profile.

I'd considered the profile route as the other alternative when I was
first trying to figure out the best approach. Problems are:

- even with cascades, we'd have to maintain the same list of flags in
multiple places (cascades don't do multiple inheritance).

- it gets messy when you bring archs into it. use.mask combined with use
groups can make the whole thing "as near as possible" arch portable for
no extra effort.

- we'd end up with a heck of a lot of 'role' subprofiles.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm