List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
From:       Toby Dickenson <tdickenson () devmail ! geminidataloggers ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-10-14 18:17:32

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 22:26, Roman Gaufman wrote:
> Hey, I came across this page on the forum:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 -- looking
> specifically at the init.d script modifications. What do you think?
>
> Seems like pretty safe modification, but make very noticeable speed up
> in system startup. Maybe these changes should be made in the next
> baselayout update?

That article in the forums suggests adding xdm to the boot runlevel to get it
started sooner. Ive been doing something for a while which is slightly
different, and IMO a little cleaner.

I use an additional runlevel called postx for services that shouldnt hold up
xdm. xdm and all the essential services are in the standard default runlevel.
Then in /etc/conf.d/local.start I have....
(sleep 20; /sbin/rc postx) > /var/log/postx &

The sleep allows enough time for xdm to start smoothly, then the postx
runlevel services are started in the background.

--
Toby Dickenson