List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
From:       Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-10-04 14:14:32

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:52:37 -0500 Jeff Smelser <tradergt@smelser.org>
wrote:
| On Monday 04 October 2004 04:38 am, Terje Kvernes wrote:
| >   ack.  besides, no programming language out there will help Portage
| >   by anything but design.  I/O is the bottleneck, and heck, I've
| >   seen faster I/O in perl than in C.
|
| If thats the case, it usually means bad code..

Naah, it just means 'normal' code. Perl's generally pretty good in its
choice of algorithms and how it buffers and resizes data. glibc, on the
other hand, gives you a bunch of generally poor algorithms and doesn't
do any clever magic behind the scenes, so you've got to work really hard
to get good code in c. Of course, if you *do* go to the trouble of
reinventing the wheel over and over, you get faster code in c
eventually. Simple case in point, compare strstr(3) to perl's string
matching code...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm