List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
From:       Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-09-30 12:55:45

I've read some childish answers in this 'thread'... locking... LOL

Now seriously, if we, at least, current european tendences, we'll see
that over 80% of ISPs require the use of a dhcp client. The fact that
someone does not need dhcp does not mean at all that it should be
removed by default. If we had to think that way, then probably bash
(for example) should be removed too, as I can perfectly work with sh.
Or we could remove nano, as with a simple echo/sed/less we can handle
with archieves, right?

IMHO it's stupid (no offense to anyone) to remove it.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:21:49 +0100, José Fernandes <josemataf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, im not dev or anything, and maybe shouldn't be adding more noise
> to this, but, well, i use dhcp at school, work, coffe, home (true, i
> could be using static ip here), and well.. all ISP here in Portugal
> require dhcp.
>
> Hell, maybe im wrong, but i think there will be a lot of complains
> from those more inexperient users (and useless bugs added in bugzilla)
> if you remove this from the default thing.
>
> To those who like the thin tweek their systems... well, they could
> package.mask all packages they dont use or like, couldnt they?
>
> Thank you and nice hack ;)
>

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:01:12 +0200, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday 29 September 2004 21:05, Dejan Nikic wrote:
> > > I have a static DSL ISP, but I know of plenty of people that have
> > > various provides that provide only DHCP.  This might work in an
> > > enviroment that you know what's going on, but if you are connecting to
> > > one of these big networks who knows what goes on and what will happen
> > > if you try to asign an IP.  Also who's to say that the IP you're gona
> > > use is not already used by another user on that network and it will
> > > drop him/her off.  Now we don't want that, or do we? ;)
> >
> > Many places that actually assign static IP's still use dhcp. It has a
> > number of advantages. One being that administration is centralised.
> > Another that one can change for example the name servers in the dhcp
> > config to change them on the network. I would advise anyone who
> > administers a nontrivial network to use dhcp to provide addresses.
> >

> > Paul
> >
> > --
> > Paul de Vrieze
> > Gentoo Developer
> > Mail: pauldv@gentoo.org
> > Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net
> >

> --

Ioannis Aslanidis
<deathwing00[at]forums.gentoo.org> 0xC2539DA3
<aioannis[at]tinet.org> 0xF202D067
<dwcommander[at]users.sourceforge.net>

Hellenic Gentoo GNU/Linux project manager (http://hellenicgentoo.sf.net)
FIRECOPS++ project manager (http://firecops.sf.net)
Gentoo Forums Global  Moderator (http://forums.gentoo.org)

Computer Engineering student at Universitat Rovira i Virgili