List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] per-package environment variables.
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 23:28:13

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 06:26 pm, Antst GD wrote:
> For the moment both solutions looks ugly for me. At least I can't
> imaging simple and easy-to-understand syntax for package.env, which will
> look nice and will parce without problems.
>
> What do you think about?

most of what you proposed seems excessive and confusing (and like you say,
ugly) ... a cleaner/simpler solution can be taken from your work though i
think ...

we have a directory:
/etc/profile/packages.env/

in this directory we have simple bash (bash because we can just source it and
be done with it) files which line up in a similar fashion to the portage
tree ... for example, if i want an env file for bash, i would have:
/etc/profile/packages.env/app-shells/bash

i think this is about all we need ... and like Antst pointed out, this looks
like it'd be real simple to implement ...
-mike