List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] New local or global USE flags for sdl bindings: noimage & nomixer
From:       Paul de Vrieze <pauldv () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-08-27 12:29:43

On Thursday 26 August 2004 00:29, Spider wrote:
> However, I like the idea, quite a lot really. It would allow us
> developers who really know whats best for the user, even if they insist
> on "choices" and all that, to throw out a decent default.  We do that
> for the whole system,  and lets face it. Users shouldn't need to make a
> lot of choices just to get decent defaults.  Choices come after this.

It also would make sense in any case. For example, take the java useflag. In
mozilla and other webbrowsers it allows running java plugins (makes a lot of
sense). However in for example the sys-libs/db ebuild it will build the java
bindings. There is no package depending on those bindings and almost no-one
will need them (esp. with the new java based db that is native and faster).
Currently however we can't make per package choices so we are in a limbo of
enabling or disabling the useflag by default. Of course this has been caused
in a big part by useflag overloading where one useflags has different
meanings to different packages. I think this way would be a good way to
battle it (besides package specific explanation/descriptions)

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer