List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-07-31 16:29:26

On Saturday 31 July 2004 04:32 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> Well, the idea was that to create local USE flags of the form cc-${ARCH},
> have the gcc ebuilds use them to configure the cross compiler and also have
> them control the the slot. The only real difference to what there is now
> would be that portage would be able to forecast the SLOT correctly.

so the user would do USE="cc-arm" to get an arm cross compiler ?

and then in the ebuild we'd have to do something like:
SLOT="cc-arm? ( blah )" ?
how'd would we specify a default slot ?

> If you're asking about using portage itself to do the cross-compiling, well
> we're still a ways from that I think. Isn't the main issue there that
> packages link against / instead of ${ROOT}?

a few things / ideas ...
- you wouldnt merge the cross compiler to $ROOT, you would merge it to /
- it would be impossible to link against things in / since those libraries are
of a different format
- i believe cross compilers have a diff linking / include / etc... path setup
- if we start supporting $LDFLAGS more, this will be easier :)
-mike