List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Upcoming repoman check will fail on large files in
From:       Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-07-30 7:43:19

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:00:01 -0700 "Robin H. Johnson"
<robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
| > Ok, since I've been asked about this several times on IRC... Some
| > people have names which include non-[A-Za-z] characters.
| UTF8 != binary.

UFT-8 (sometimes) uses the upper bit on certain bytes. It is therefore,
in the traditional sense, binary. You could, of course, just not mark it
as such for CVS...

| > Incidentally, when are we going to officially standardise on UTF-8
| > for ChangeLog and ebuilds?
| There is absolutely nothing I'm aware of stopping you from using UTF
| already in ChangeLogs and ebuilds, barring some common sense
| limitations, like bash not accepting non-ASCII for the names of
| variables and functions.

No, but not everyone is using UTF-8, resulting in horridly mixed files.
Hence the "officially standardise". Right now we have a mess.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm