List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] kde 3.2 beta2
From:       Dylan Carlson <absinthe () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-07-29 6:57:20

On Thursday 29 July 2004 2:38 am, suka wrote:

> For sure that's a difference, because using a beta of this is begging
> for problems. If KDE 3.3 is ready, so why don't the KDE developers
> release it as final now?

There are many packages in the tree that are "beta" or a ISO date, or
something else ... that are marked stable.  If we've tested a "beta" and
it seems to work OK, we mark it ~arch.  Then after a while if there are no
open bugs, we mark it stable.   Who cares what the version number is?

As Linus says, it's just a number!

It's the package maintainer's job to do his/her own testing, then bring the
packages out for ~arch testing.  That is what Caleb has done.  The object
now is to find the bugs Caleb didn't see during his testing so that they
can be fixed and resolved before they get marked stable.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@gentoo.org]
Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F