List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flags
From:       foser <foser () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-06-30 22:42:12

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 21:23 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> Jpeg isn't the only graphics format that supports exif information.  Anyway,
> whilst I'm getting PHP5 in and working, being able to switch individual
> features off and on is a great help to me.

As far as I am aware it is. At least EXIF was specifically designed to
be kept inside a JPEG format file, but I might be wrong. I mean ppl
stick id3 tags on everything that has music in it these days likewise.

I was never really fan of the jpeg=exif solution, because it extends the
jpeg useflag beyond it's specific purpose. But I'm more worried about
the earlier mentioned double meaning of a USE flag we get now by your
interpretation. This is something that should be avoided and I hoped you
could take that more serious, but i guess it's just me.

- foser