List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Success report: Gnome 2.6.1
From:       Andrew Cowie <andrew () operationaldynamics ! com>
Date:       2004-05-31 16:58:28

[Not sure how better to report this]

After extensive tests on a separate partition set up to be an rsync'd
dual booted mirror copy of the system, (and having mounted /usr/portage
in common between the two "systems" so that I could re-use packages
built in the course of testing) I found Gnome 2.6.1 to be workable.

So, using the packages built in testing, I upgraded my primary sustem's
gnome. Used ~x86 to get gnome-base/gnome-2.6.1-rc1 and its dependencies,
but I did NOT use emerge -u because I did not want to drag the rest of
my system onto ~x86.

After 24 hours of use, everything is in good shape.

Only obvious issues is gpdf-0.131 won't display the PDFs I've created
(with OO) anymore. Giving all gibberish. Not sure what the deal is.

rhythmbox [mp3 player] is fine (no crashes!).

totem [mpeg/dvd player] is still a bit up in the air - audio DVDs are
playing, but video is a bit choppy [I've heard things are a bit funky
inside GStreamer 0.8, but with rhythmbox working fine so I'm not sure
what the problem is].

evo, galeon, openoffice-ximian are all good.

I'd recommend that 2.6.1 be unmasked x86.

Regards,

AfC
Toronto

[I know 2.6.0 was just unmasked, but tracking a version back the usual
way doesn't really mean the same in GNOME, IMHO - a version back is
2.4.2; the 2.6.1 versions of most GNOME are mostly necessary bugfixes,
but I realize it is a lot of work to prepare the dependencies and to get
the "meta" package gnome-base/gnome right]

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Fixing your technology by focusing on your people and
the processes around them. We improve usabilty, scalabilty,
and maintainability - the keys to making technology work -
through team building, implementing effective procedures,
and enhancing systems performance.

Contact us!

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney, New York, Toronto, London