List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-core] Announce gentoo/ppc64 beta
From:       Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-05-29 16:25:53

Seems our mailinglists are acting weird, so here we go:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Thomas Alan Gall,,," <tgall@gentoo.org>
> Date: Sat 29 May 2004 18:03:30 CEST
> To: gentoo-core@lists.gentoo.org, gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org
> Cc: gwn-feedback@gentoo.org
> Subject: [gentoo-core] Announce gentoo/ppc64 beta
>

> It is my pleasure to announce beta level livecds and stages for ppc64.
> The hardware
> supported by gentoo-ppc64 is PowerMacintosh G5, IBM pSeries, older IBM
> 64 bit RS/6000s
> (such as the model 260, 270, F80, H80, see linuxppc64.org for a
> complete list)
> and soon IBM iSeries hardware.
>
> Gentoo-ppc64 is the other side of the ppc equation, it is a 64 bit
> kernel as well as a 64 bit user space.  We are the first linux
> distribution to offer a 64 bit top to bottom solution which is not a
> toy environment. This is a significant and exciting step as there is
> interest in cluster computing circles, users of java, and more
> generally those who have needs of large address spaces. It's fairly
> exciting to be on the forefront and continue to push the capabilities
> of linux on ppc64 forward.
>
> For those that report or track bugs across multiple architecture via
> bugs.gentoo.org please do NOT forget to cc ppc64@gentoo.org. Also for
> bugs marked against PPC64 please
> do NOT CC ppc@gentoo.org if the bug clearly does not affect both
> architectures. I've
> seen a few errors in this reguard this morning and I'd rather not see
> frustrated
> users with bugs being funneled off to the wrong team.
>
> Last I'd like to thank the entire gentoo community for it's help and
> support. This
> new architecture support would not have been possible with your
> positive and
> constructive attitude for welcome new developers to gentoo, your good
> works and
> treating your user base respectfully and professionally.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom
>
> Tom Gall
> gentoo-ppc64 lead -- God started with stage 1, shouldn't you?
> tgall aatt gentoo.org
> tgall aatt uberh4x0r.org
> tom_gall aatt mac.com
>
> PS http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall has all the info or join in on
> #gentoo-ppc64.
>
> --

Begin forwarded message:

</x-tad-bigger></color></bold><x-tad-bigger>"Thomas Alan Gall,,,"
<<tgall@gentoo.org></x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>

</x-tad-bigger></color></bold><x-tad-bigger>Sat 29 May 2004 18:03:30
CEST

</x-tad-bigger></color></bold><x-tad-bigger>gentoo-core@lists.gentoo.org</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>,
</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>

</x-tad-bigger></color></bold><x-tad-bigger>gwn-feedback@gentoo.org</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>

</x-tad-bigger></color><x-tad-bigger>[gentoo-core] Announce
gentoo/ppc64 beta

</x-tad-bigger></bold>