List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
From:       Georgi Georgiev <chutz () gg3 ! net>
Date:       2004-03-27 14:47:18

maillog: 25/03/2004-12:01:32(+0100): Paul de Vrieze types
> On Thursday 25 March 2004 08:52, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> > and have vim on my laptop. However, if I chroot to /remote/laptop, I'd
> > end up making all communication over NFS and using the hard disk of
> > the laptop for compiling as well, which is not very fast. I was doing
> > something with
>
> Isn't this /remote/laptop partition local to the server? using chroot or
> not does not in any significant way change the performance of access to
> this location.

/remote/laptop is mounted over NFS. /remote/laptop is the / of my laptop and it
is physically on the laptop. The desktop is compiling and hopefully, using
"ROOT=/remote/laptop" is emerging the software remotely to the laptop.

> > mount -o bind /var/tmp/portage/ /remote/laptop/var/tmp/portage/
>
> Using a fast disc for /var/tmp/portage is allways advantageous.
>
> > which speeds up things a bit, but it is still slower and too annoying
> > to do every time.
>
> Then do it automatically from fstab

I don't have /remote/laptop always mounted (only when the laptop is powered on
and I want to emerge packages there), and I'd need to do the mount -o bind
commands after I mount /remote/laptop. I agree that this is not much of an
issue. A proper shell script would do the mounts right when I need them.

There is still the problem of using the slow disk of the laptop (for all
headers, libraries, etc. while compiling) over NFS, if I chroot to
/remote/laptop.

--
/\   Georgi Georgiev   /\ Cropp's Law: The amount of work done varies  /\
\/    chutz@gg3.net    \/ inversly with the time spent in the office.  \/