List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
From:       Caleb Tennis <caleb () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-02-02 19:59:20

While I'm not particular on the actual implementation, nor do I have a firm
opinion one way or another on this matter, I personally see a large
opportunity for Gentoo to create more "products" that generate revenue.  This
looked like a great opportunity for that, so that's why I suggested it.

From my perspective, we're going to take what amounts to a portage snapshot
and spend time (and not a trivial amount either) maintaining it separate from
mainstream portage.  I don't think $20 a year is an unreasonable amount to
ask for this - especially since the normal portage tree is still available.
The money is meant to benefit the future of the project; it's not going into
my pockets.

I didn't expect the idea to be a popular one, but I bet if you took an
informal poll of end-users who explicitly would desire using this tree over
the normal portage tree, a majority of them would see the value and incline
to agree.  And while it'd be nice to just have a "Donate to Paypal" link
instead, I'm inclined to think most people would prefer paying for a service
rather than donating to a group.

I don't intend this to flame or be flamebait; I'm just wanting to throw out
ideas and perhaps get some people thinking outside the box.

Caleb