List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] DEPEND vs. RDEPEND refresher
From:       Drake Wyrm <wyrm () haell ! com>
Date:       2004-01-31 5:39:19

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:38:25PM +0100, in <401AC0C1.6010701@GMX.li>,
Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert@GMX.li> wrote:
> Jon Portnoy wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 09:21:57AM -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
> >>On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:56:21AM -0500, in
> >><20040130165621.GA12724@cerberus.oppresses.us>, Jon Portnoy
> >>I've had a question about that; this seems a good time to ask. Should
> >>DEPEND include the run-time DEPs or *only* compile-time DEPs?
> >Only compile-time deps.
> So, where should i put runtime deps when installing from source? If i
> understood you right, neither RDEPEND nor DEPEND is the right place?

Runtime DEPs will be the same (for similarly-configured packages)
whether you install from source or from a binary package. Jon was (if
I understand correctly, your milage may vary, batteries not included,
void in the state of New Hampshire) not *defining* RDEPEND, but offering
a litmus test to help answer the question, "Does this belong in RDEPEND?"

--
Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.