List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with using Subversion or arch for kernel development
From:       Paul de Vrieze <pauldv () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-01-26 21:06:48

On Monday 26 January 2004 02:00, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:

> What are the failures of Subversion and/or arch?

Subversion is in general not really good with really big repositories like the
portage tree. Checking in an out a whole tree takes too much time for
example, and there are wories (not researched) about whether it will allow
concurrent access (concurrent read access is no problem). In general
subversion is not ready to support the portage tree in our point.

> To my mind, the web server dependency of subversion was a negative because
> I was always dealing with small projects.  However, I could see where
> bundling this stuff up into a webserver could be a bonus for a large
> project who already maintains their own web server.

You don't need to use it, but it is great if you have to deal with braindead
admins that only let you use internet through a proxy because that would be
safer. (As if I can't sent everything I want over CONNECT)

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer