List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] development-sources-2.6.0 => vanilla-sources
From:       Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-12-28 20:14:58

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> | Can't agree here. Im using 2.6 on my workstation for nearly 3 months
> | now, i had no problems using X except 2 weird "out of memory" kills,
> | which i cant reproduce or say its the kernel.
>
> You are using 2.6 on one box and it is working for you. That is not the
> same as "it will work reliably for the majority of people on the
> majority of boxes". Right now, 2.6 is not usable for many people.

So mark it unstable, mask it, whatever; the point is it's no longer a
'development' kernel and as such it should be moved to either the vanilla
sources category or given a new category, like 'vanilla-2.6-sources'.

Keeping in mind that kernel 2.7 will shortly be upon us and it will
supercede 2.5/2.6 as the official development kernel.

It doesn't make sense for us to re-define the long-standing Linux
terminology just because we disagree with Linus et al. regarding a
particular kernel's stability.

It's vanilla-sources. Gentoo does nothing but package it and track the
version number. If somebody's running it, chances are they're aware enough
of what they're doing and of the risks involved.

--
  Stewart Honsberger @ http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
  Linux zeus i586 AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux