List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] hdparm problems
From:       Paulo da Silva <psdasilva () esoterica ! pt>
Date:       2003-11-30 3:15:46

Hi!

Both on my desktop and my laptop I had a problem with
hdparm. The system seemed to hang when starting hdparm.

Because I didn't know how to debug startup (rc) scripts, I
decided to replace the original /etc/init.d/hdparm with a simple
hdparm script to act only on my disks. On the desktop the problem
went a way and everything works pretty fine.

On the laptop a problem occurs from time to time. I can't tell when
and under which circunstancies that happens but the symptoms are
always the same.

After the message "starting hdparm ..." the computer stops (hangs).
After beeing off for some moments (+-15s), the disk activity led blinks
one time, then it turns on and stays there forever. Only a power off
unlocks the system. After rebooting the file /etc/modules.conf is
always corrupted. "modules-update force" resolve the problem.

Any ideas about what can be causing this?

Thanks