List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] making ebuilds with interactive options (bug #34243)
From:       Andrea Barisani <lcars () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-11-25 0:00:25

Hi,

making interactive ebuild is always considered bad because it breaks 'emerge
-u world'. However when building samhain ebuild (you can find it at
http://www.gentoo.org/~lcars/ebuilds/) I have find necessary to include
interactive options, that's because this integrity checkers needs a number of
parameters that must be configured at compile time for preventing tampering.

These parameters includes: server IP address, binary name, a XOR value, PGP
key fingerprint and so on. The parameters are needed if some IUSE flags of
the ebuild are on, without those flags the package perform a default
installation without interactive questions.

The question is, since interactive is a bad thing how would you treat this
kind of apps? What we should do with my ebuild? I really think that all these
features should be implemented, after all we use Gentoo because we can
install apps the way we like right? :) It would be a shame not allow users to
use all samhain features.

I was thinking about a way to storing the parameters on the first emerge and
then using them automatically when updating, anyone has an elegant way in
mind for doing that?

Bye and thanks

--
Andrea Barisani <lcars@gentoo.org>                            .*.
Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer                          V