List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
From:       Caleb Tennis <caleb () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-11-22 8:34:05

On Saturday 22 November 2003 07:43, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2003 02:32, Jon Portnoy wrote:
>
> > Quick poll of people reading this thread: Would you like to see the
> > removal of nonfree software from the tree? That means things like
> > vmware, the java packages, etc.

As a Gentoo user/dev who has multiple deployments of Gentoo in a corporate
environment, I would be highly pressed to look for an alternative
distribution if non-free software was to be removed.  I promote free software
as much as I can, but I simply have to sometimes make the most economically
sound choice.

Think about the FSF's motive behind the creation of a Lesser GPL... to promote
a more widespread use of the libraries vs. requiring code linked against it
be freely available.  I think some analogous ideas can be drawn here as well.

Caleb