List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] better handling of multibyte characters
From:       Spider <spider () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-10-31 15:05:30

begin  quote
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:24:52 +0900
Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@gentoo.org> wrote:

> So what I will do is:
>
> 1. Create global USE flag named "unicode" which enables
>    Unicode(including UTF-7/UTF-8/UTF-16 and so on) support.
> 2. Don't make it default in any profiles. (We will consider it later
>    when those applications settle down.)
>
> Everybody happy with this? I hope it will be a good starting point for
> integrating Unicoded support into Gentoo Linux.

Sounds great.

proposed addition to baselayout:

if [ `use unicode` ] ;
then
cat >> ${D}/etc/rc.conf << EOF
# This setting enables a default UTF-8 locale for your system.
# please look inside /usr/share/locale for more examples
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

EOF
fi

This is rough, but something like it perhaps?

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!