List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] What is classified as a "blocker" bug?
From:       Phil Richards <news () derived-software ! ltd ! uk>
Date:       2003-09-30 17:58:33

I try to make sure that when I file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org
that I set an "appropriate" severity.

Recently, I tried to emerge glademm with gcc 3.3.1 and it
failed to compile.  I felt that given the description of
severities in the bugzilla:

Blocker         Blocks development and/or testing work
Critical        crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak
Major           major loss of function
Minor           minor loss of function, or other problem
                where easy workaround is present
Trivial         cosmetic problem like misspelled words
                or misaligned text
Enhancement     Request for enhancement

then the appropriate severity is "Blocker".

Clearly, I was wrong because it got downgraded to a "major" -
I suspect that this was because I gave a hacky workaround.

Fair enough.  But could somebody please clarify what the
severities *really* mean?  Preferably on bugzilla itself.
(Given the above descriptions, I would have expected a
downgrade based on having a workaround to be "minor", so
I'm doubly confused.)

I don't actually care what severity is used - but I do like
to get the right one.  Or should I just not bother setting
it in future?

phil
--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email