List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Genkernel hacking
From:       "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-09-30 8:31:58

Hi Guys,

While wanting to build a bunch of kernels to test out in a mostly
automated fashion, I hacked up some improvements to genkernel for the
task.

I've put up the modified version here.
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/~robbat2/genkernel

A diff against the current genkernel installed by the ebuild is almost
the size of the existing program, so I decided posting just the modified
program was probably more effective.

Change listing:
- Help page!
- Use getopt for option handling (all options now have long and short
  versions)
- Specify which kernel version you want to build
- Specify where to find the kernel sources to build (for those of us
  that build on ramdisks ;-)
- options to call packaging and bootsplash stuff (the base functionality
  was there before, but hidden).
- Fixed packaging code some to work better.
- "--skip-mrproper" to skip mrproper when you only want to make a few
  tweaks to the kernel and not rebuild all of it.

Example usage:
I have my custom modified kernel source for linux-2.4.22-ac4 in
/tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom
EXTRAVERSION in the makefile is -ac4+robbat2
To build it:
genkernel -d /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom --kernel-version 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2
(I already have a customized config in /etc/kernels/config-2.4.22-ac4+robbat2)
now I forgot something and it doesn't build right
genkernel --kernel-directory /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom -k 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2 --config
now to continue building:
genkernel -d /tmp/ramdisk/linux.custom -k 2.4.22-ac4+robbat2 -s

I haven't tested the bootsplash functionality, as some of that code
didn't make any sense. Appending to a raw initrd image and then not
compressing it???

Hopefully somebody will find these changes useful in the meantime.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net