List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] What is happening to the desktops?
From:       "C. Brewer" <cbrewer () stealthaccess ! net>
Date:       2003-09-29 16:47:02

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:08:02 -0500
Caleb Tennis <caleb@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I don't know how Gnome is set up, but all you need for a KDE installation
> is to emerge kde-base/kdebase.  It will pull down arts, kdelibs, and any
> other system lib dependencies you don't already have.  The dependencies in
> these builds are relatively minor.  If you don't already have Qt it will
> pull that in as well (rather large).
>
> I don't see how this can be construed as "too many dependencies".  On my
> P4-2200 this whole process takes about 2 hours.  Before high speed
> broadband, it used to take me that long just to download the source code.
>
> Now, if you start installing all of the other *optional* kde packages
> (games, multimedia, ..) it will increase your installation time 5 fold.
>
> Caleb

I suppose optional is open to interpretation..but I was looking here-
http://www.kde.org/download/ and what shows there is what the kde people
consider a full installation, and the only prerequisite is qt, of course.
Mike has already pointed out a couple of problems that could be improved,and
in true vanilla fashion `emerge kde` should pull no more then whats listed
at their site. I applaud your good fortune in having a fast cpu and
connection, whereas my k6-2 500 and 56k connection find this mildly
annoying. I think the fast cpu/fast connection has maybe jaded some devs
because while it costs "relatively minor" time at their end, it increases
5x at the low end. I would be happy to prvide a USE free list of packages to
be emerged if that would help:) This rant was merely aimed at the number of
deps Gentoo calls for vs. the number the vanilla source calls for.

--
Chuck Brewer
Registered Linux User #284015