List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Unmasking common server applications
From:       Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba () codewordt ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-06-30 12:48:18

Hello

Whilst rolling out Gentoo Linux on our flat server I was taken aback to
see a large proportion of common server applications masked.  Here are
listed some of them.

gallery
phpBB
xalan
phpsysinfo
mailman
apache-2.0.46

As I'm sure users will sympathise, installing a mixture of stable and
testing packages causes portage to complain about depgraph creation and
masking.  This in turn results in the update world command throwing
errors.  I'd prefer our server not to suffer from this common and
difficult problem.

So this is a plea for these applications to be unmasked and also a
stronger plea for apache2 to be moved into stable.  Apache2 worked right
out of the box with PHP and SSL.

Please post feedback.  Many thanks.
--
Dhruba Bandopadhyay | dhruba[AT]codewordt.co.uk | ICQ: 31628525
Gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5 | XFree-4.3.0-r3 | Nvidia-1.0.4363 |