List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Gentoo donations/drobbins personal income numbers
From:       Daniel Robbins <drobbins () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-06-28 19:38:00

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 06:27:11PM +0200, Daniel Armyr wrote:
> Does Gentoo do accounting? In that case, some financial statements would
> put many people at ease, or at least, those of us who can read them.

Sure. Here is information from Gentoo Technologies, Inc. 941 Employer's
Quarterly Federal Tax Return for the first quarter of 2003:

1. Total wages and tips, plus other compensation			$7778.45

This is my personal gross income (money Gentoo Technologies paid to me) for
January, February and March 2003.  This money comes from an independent
source, not donations. After taxes (net income) I received exactly $6250.00.
According to my "bc" math, this is:

$2083.33 per month

Or, extended throughout the entire year:

2083.33*12
$25,000 per year

This quarterly number is actually slightly low due to some money slated to
become personal income that I kept in the company and redirected towards
LinuxWorld expenses. My annual income tends to be around 35,000 to 40,000
per year. I live in the United States; I have a a 3 year-old daughter and
another expected in four weeks. I have a wife who is a full-time mom by
choice, who is very supportive of what I do but at the same time often
wonders if maybe it would be best for us if I would stop doing Gentoo and
get a "real" job. I will not go into the debt that I (personally, not
Gentoo) have accumulated due to my career choice. If someone wants to know,
just ask, and I will share this personal information as well. I've probably
already shared too much, and I'm not trying to evoke pity or be overly
melodramatic, just clear my name.

The total income Gentoo received from donations, our advertisements on the
site, and CafePress.com for the first quarter of 2003 amounted to a generous
$4849.78, or an average of $1616.59 per month. This money was used for
LWE-related expenses, hardware, and to assist an unnamed developer who was
having trouble paying basic living expenses (not me.) This money *does* make
a difference, *is* being used legitimately, and is also *greatly*
appreciated.

Sincerely,

--
Daniel Robbins