List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Assigning unique system uid/gid for new ebuild
From:       Martin Lesser <gentoo () better-com ! de>
Date:       2003-05-30 14:03:52

While writing an ebuild for nullmailer I would like to know how to
determine an unique uid/gid (nullmail/nullmail) which I need in the
script if I don't want to patch the Makefile.

Grepping through other ebuild's I saw that there are several packages
which also use useradd/groupadd with a given id (i.e. postgres=70).

Who assigns these ids used in several other ebuild's where system users
are needed?  How can I prevent id collisions without grepping through
other ebuild-files?

Or should I omit defining sys-users with a fixed id given?

TIA, Martin