List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Depedencies of kde ebuilds?
From:       Dan Armak <danarmak () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-04-29 18:49:52

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 20:26, Sergey Kuleshov wrote:
> Hullo,
> I was wondering recently about the way the dependencies of kde
> packages are made. For example I want to emerge kdeaddons, as the
> dependencies it requires me to install kdemultimedia and kdegames.
> However, strictly speaking kdeaddons does not require aby of these
> packages and I don't see the point why I should actually need them?
> IMHO (kdegames - well they are not that good ;) kdemultimedia - xmms+xine -
> rules!)

kdeaddons contains addons for apps from kdemultimedia and kdegames among
others; the headers of those packages are iirc necessary to compile these
addons.

> So, what I am suggesting is why not add a local USE flag, something like
> no_kde_mult ans no_kde_games, so that users could emerge addons without
> having to compile the above named packages?

I'm not sure whether our policy says that a local use flag should be
introduced wherever possible. Not that I have anything much against this
specific instance, but there are many other places where similar requests
could be made, which would be a bother. Any other dev, or kde user, care to
comment?

BTW, you could try e.g. KDE_REMOVE_DIR="noatun-plugins atlantikdesigner"
emerge kdeaddons-3.1.1-r1.ebuild. This is a hack though and may even stop
working one day, so I only mention it as a curiosity :-)

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)