List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Question on making ebuild for a zipped distribution
From:       Fredrik Jagenheim <humming () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-04-29 9:44:30

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:28:13AM +0100, Alastair Tse wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 06:27, Stephen Boulet wrote:
> > <<
> > Leo is distributed as a single compressed (.zip) folder.  Simply uncompress
> > this folder, put the folder in a convenient place and run leo.py.
> > >>

> > Any hints for making a (probably easy) ebuild for this program? Any preferred
> > location?
>
> I would just put the script into /usr/bin as leo.py and the README's
> into your usual places. I don't believe there is a distinction between a
> python executable and a binary executable.

Although, it's not that easy. The Leo zip-ball is a mess. I tried to
figure out a way to make a ebuild for it when I first read about the
program. As I remember it, I had to try and figure out which files
where documentation and move them to /usr/share/doc and which files
should go to /usr/share/leo and make a shell script to wrap the leo.py
script. However, after actually testing the program, finding it too
buggy and not really living up to the hype, I put it down and didn't
bother with the effort. :)

Heck, if I remember correctly, I even got stuck on the unzipping of
the distribution. There were no 'virtual/unzip' dependencies, thus
forcing users to install one zip-program when they may already have
another.

Just my experience with leo.ebuild. Although if some effort is spent,
it should probably be straight forward to make one.

//H

--
To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic.