List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Destroying dependancies...
From:       Per Wigren <wigren () home ! se>
Date:       2003-03-28 23:07:05

On Friday 28 March 2003 23:55, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 05:54:54PM +0100, Per Wigren wrote:
> > But how do we check that with the current information?
> > To use the postfix-case above as an example..
> > Postfix works fine with both MySQL v3.x and MySQL v4.x.
> > If it is compiled against v3 it has to be recompiled if MySQL is upgraded
> > from v3 to v4, but not if it is upgraded from v4.0.11 to v4.0.12..
> >
> > To use MPlayer as another example..
> > MPlayer has to be recompiled EVERY TIME that DirectFB is upgraded, even
> > minor version, because it links to .so.<complete versionnumber> ..  But
> > it doesn't need to be recompiled if for example Vorbis is upgraded from
> > v1.0.1 to v1.0.2 or even v1.8.5 because it links to libvorbis.so.0 ...
>
> The MPlayer and MySQL examples are different. For MPlayer it's the link
> to .so.<complete versionnumber> that means you need to recompile.
>
> But for MySQL v4, even if you linked just to the plain .so, you had to
> recompile, because the API and structures changed. If you just left it
> there and tried to run things, they would segfault.

Yes, "of course".. It links to the major versionnumber for a reason...
The MySQL-libraries are ABI-compatible withing the major version so it doesn't
need to link to .so.x.y.z or .so.x.y, just .so.x.
DirectFB is still under development (beta/alpha) and is not ABI-stable, so
programs are linking to .so.x.y.z..
IMHO the only good way to track what packages should be recompiled is to check
what it links to with ldd.  If a program links to the .so instead of .so.x.y
of a library that is not considered ABI-stable, it should be seen as a bug in
the program.

// Per Wigren