List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] What is World?
From:       John Nilsson <john () milsson ! nu>
Date:       2003-03-26 12:37:29

What is the policy of what the /var/cache/edb/world file should contain?

I was under the impression that is should contain all installed packages
which are not dependencies. No more no less.
Of course there is some exceptions like a package should be stated even
if there is some plugins to that package installed.
f.ex.
app-dicts/aspell
app-dicts/aspell-se
app-dicts/aspell-en

How should this case be handled?

But after running the script that where supposed to fix this file, it
contains a lot of packages that already are dependencies...

If I edit it by hand to only contain the packages I KNOW I want, the
depclean gets really odd on me. It tried to uninstall perl f.ex. which
clearly is a dependency on many things.

So is there a bug here, or is this policy clearly stated somewhere?

Oh and another thing, why would anyone want to run emerge -u world
without --deep? And why wouldn't you want --deep to include all the deps
down to glibc?

/John