List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] NTPD
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-01-12 22:24:29

many people seem to have had troubles with the new ntp release ...

a little background info:
we have users that wish to run ntpdate at boot time and then run ntpd from
there on out ... makes sense for some setups ...
we also have users that wish to run ntpd *only* ...
we also have users that wish to run ntpd to set the clock and then have it sit
in the bg to sync time with the server ...

current state of ntp:
to accomdate this the rc scripts have gone through some changes ;)
this next release (-r4) should have enough comments for everyone to quickly
understand what they should set in order for ntp to work happilly with their
system ... and enough options to accomadate all of the above setups ...

any further questions/concerns/problems can be sent to me personally.  or file
a bug at bugs.gentoo.org.

as for manpages, they dont currently exist in the ebuild of ntpd since they
dont come with the standard distribution.  if anyone has a URL or something
to generate/aquire manpages for ntp, ill add it to the ebuild.

-mike