List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] IUSE variable clarification
From:       Terje Kvernes <terjekv () math ! uio ! no>
Date:       2003-01-08 19:18:47

Nick Jones <carpaski@twobit.net> writes:

> It should contain _EVERY_ reference you make to a USE variable. So
> if you check ncurses, it contains ncurses... if you check gtk, it
> contains gtk. It's presently unused, but required for upcoming
> features like rebuild-on-use-change.

  isn't the IUSE-variable really redundant?  shouldn't portage be able
  to get the USE-flags directly from the ebuilds DEPEND-statement
  without adding an IUSE-kludge?  as far as I can tell IUSE just moves
  the work of maintaining this list from portage to the ebuild
  maintainer, who now has to update both DEPEND and IUSE.

  there is no doubt that portage needs the functionality IUSE
  provides, I'm just sceptical to the way that functionality is being
  provided.

--
Terje