List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-admin] Building a second system]
From:       "Arnold deVos" <adv () langdale ! com ! au>
Date:       2003-01-06 0:02:19

I have exactly the same need.  A powerful Athlon building packages for a an
older 486 or pentium box (eg firewall or other appliance).   I have
experimented with the following ideas:

1 -

    - create a /my486Image hierarchy
    - setup the /my486Image/etc/make.conf  for cross compiling.
    - export ROOT=/my486image (instead of /)
    - use emerge from within the host (Athlon) system.

Unfortunately emerge seems to touch stuff outside of ROOT such as the
package db.

2 -

    - create a normal chroot environment for the 486
    - mount the Athlon enviroment within this as /hostAlthonImage.
    - Set the PATH to /hostAthlonImage/bin:/hostAthlonImage/usr/bin etc etc
    - use emerge (ie /hostAthlonImage/usr/bin/emerge)

The problem is the ld.so library path.   Its tricky to get ld.so to load
runtime .so's from /hostAthlonImage and not from the chroot's /usr/lib

Of these solutions I think (1) is more promising but looks like I need to
check the emerge source to find the gotcha's.

It would be really useful if the fakeroot emerge facility mentioned by
drobbins on the gentoo frontpage was available.  (I can't find it. Anyone
know how to use this feature?)

- Arnold