List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Announcing new Prelinking Guide
From:       Terje Kvernes <terjekv () math ! uio ! no>
Date:       2003-01-04 21:36:15

Stefan Jones <cretin@gentoo.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 20:54, Terje Kvernes wrote:
>
> > right.  broken stuff, be it binaries or libraries, come up as
> > "data" with "file".  this can, thankfully, be used to find most of
> > the broken stuff:
> >
> > for f in $( file /usr/bin/* /bin/* /usr/X11R6/bin/* /usr/lib/*.so\
> > /lib/*.so /usr/kde/3/lib/*.so | grep ":.*data" |\
> > cut -f1 -d: ); do qpkg -nc -f $f; done | sort | uniq > /tmp/packages
>
> Good idea, be careful not only binaries reside in those dirs, but
> that will not hurt you.

  I know.  and it works.  :-)

  I've now rebuilt every package I listed earlier, as well as kdebase
  and kdelibs.  things work[tm].  there might have been some slipups,
  somewhere, but I'll find them eventually.  oh, interesting sidenote.
  some merges like ORBit2 actually required me to remove the old
  libraries from the same package by hand first, as the build (make)
  for some reason tried to use those libraries.  when I removed them
  manually (they where broken anyway), things worked.

  so a rescue guide should probably include removing the broken files
  after we've made the package list, and before we start to remerge
  stuff.

> > hm, what other directories should I check?
>
> see /etc/prelink.conf for the dirs prelink reads

  er, good point.  thanks.

--
Terje