List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Announcing new Prelinking Guide
From:       Terje Kvernes <terjekv () math ! uio ! no>
Date:       2003-01-03 17:23:51

"John P. Davis" <zhen@gentoo.org> writes:

> On Friday 03 January 2003 03:06 am, Terje Kvernes wrote:
>
> >   well, I ran prelink, found out that all daemons had to be restarted,
> >   and figured I'd undo and look at it later.   bad idea.
> >
> >   /usr went full, and now prelink segfaults midway through the KDE
> >   library directory.  I'm mostly just removing whatever it segfaults
> >   on and hoping it will continue.  my real problem however is this:
> >
> > [x200 /] # python2.2
> > python2.2: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected PLT reloc type
> > 0x00
> >
> >   which sort of hurts when running Gentoo.  I'm fetching a stage3
> >   tarball on another system and I'll remerge, hm, kdelibs parts of
> >   gnome and what have you not once I get this working again.
> >
> >   one might want to note on the webpage that this _might_ hurt.
> >   badly.  and maybe python should be protected from optimizations like
> >   this under Gentoo?
>
> I have forwarded this to the guy that wrote the guide, and we will take care
> of it. I hope your system gets better!

  it will, over time.  :-)

  I have to admit though, sometimes I'd give an arm and a leg for not
  just a portage-rescue, but also rescues for python and gcc.  you
  don't get far in Gentoo when python or gcc are dead.

  the idea would be to produce a package containing portage, python,
  gcc that would install gcc, python and portage by itself when
  invoked.  I'm not sure how much time you'd save from bootstrapping,
  but you'd be able to rescue your basic system fairly easy.

  besides, it should be fully doable to automatically build packages
  that do this?  if there is real interest, maybe I'll have a go at it
  myself.

--
Terje