List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] final release?
From:       Denis Shcherbakov <deniss () Princeton ! EDU>
Date:       2003-01-01 2:09:08

Dave, I couldn't agree more.

I never tried BSD myself, but I did try to coexist with Redhat and then
SuSE and both left a bitter aftertaste. :)  Whereas Redhat is sort of
optimizable, SuSE was not very tractable in that regard.  But sadly
enough, both Redhat and SuSE are slowly but surely approaching Windoze.

With Gentoo, not only can you tune and performance-optimize your box, you
retain the feel and stability that is always advertised about Linux.

I am getting brave enough to consider the idea of using Gentoo to deliver
laptop-aided presentations for scientific seminars.  I haven't researched
that topic very much yet, but this is where stability and dependability
would count the most for me - the ability not to worry that my Powerpoint
in Windoze will crash during a talk.  I haven't seen anyone present with a
Linux laptop yet...  Any of you tried it?  I'd love to know!!

Many thanks to Gentoo again...  and Happy New Year to all :)

Denis