List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Documentation issues (minor)
From:       kai.grossjohann () uni-duisburg ! de (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
Date:       2002-12-30 17:00:14

I'm just installing my first Gentoo system ever, so I thought before
I forget I could tell you my experience.  (The bootstrap is running,
so I have nothing else to do anyway :-)

* The documentation could say that support for a lot of network cards
  is already compiled into the kernel.  I was quite shocked when I
  couldn't find the module for my Realtek card...  (Or are the
  modules on the initrd and it loads them from there?  I know nothing
  about initrd.  But it doesn't matter, I think.)

* Maybe the installation documentation could say something about the
  USE variable.  Is it better to add a lot of settings right from the
  start, or is it okay to just start with a few and then add more as
  we go along?

  I decided to add lots of settings that I think I will need.

* Maybe a word about continuation lines could be said.  It seems I
  can just break the line within the quotes, but how about saying
  this explicitly?

* I kinda got confused about the network setup.  (That shock about the
  missing Realtek module must have been pretty severe :-)  So I'm not
  sure if the following is relevant.  My dhcp server appears to need a
  hostname.  Does net-setup allow me to type one in?  If not, it might
  be a good feature.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings, I've been reading
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
which I hope was the right thing to do.

Now I will go back and read some email.  Stay tuned for more stupid
messages after the bootstrap has finished...  (Or just tell me to
shut up if I'm annoying.)
--
Ambibibentists unite!