List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc vs tcc
From:       Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-11-30 14:17:45

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 01:30:40 +0100
Fernand Albarracin <fernand8@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How about simply using an environnement variable such as CC ? The user
> would set it in /etc/make.conf as he already does with CFLAGS and
> friends. But he would propably do the following instead :
>
> 	CC=tcc; CFLAGS=-g; emerge stuff
>
> CC would even allow to have multiple GCC version to choose from
> (right?). And the best from a maintainer point of view: no
> ebuild-specific work required.

In this case, the problem is that the user will have to be informed of
that _before_ doing the gobo compilation. As per ebuild rules, we are not
allowed to stop the build process and ask the user for input, so at best,
he'd see a notice scrolling by at high speed saying "this package would
take 2mins to compile if you have chosen tcc, but you haven't, too bad for
you".

I certainly agree with you that the CC=tcc is a nicer approach (perhaps
even the nicest approach of them all), but it requires the user to
actually _know_ he can benefit from using tcc on gobo beforehand. That's a
very steep requirement imho, given the fact that very few people have
heard of tcc, nobody's heard of gobo, and it's hardly commonplace to think
you can get a 30x improvement in compilation time just by switching
compilers :)

Kind regards,

Karl T