List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] OpenLDAP user authentication / autofs integration
From:       <gdjohn () egregious ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-31 12:31:40

Hi,

I've recently got my Gentoo systems authenticating users/automount'ing
home directories with all of the directory information coming from my
openldap server :)

What I would like to do is get al of my hard work into the relevant
ebuilds now.  I've a query though regarding USE variables. The "ldap" use
variable seems a little overloaded in it's scope - it can be used for
everything from adding ldap address book support in email clients, to
providing ldap user authentication (with a little extra work...).

I realise that USE variables could quickly become unmanageable if loads
were added, but it would be nice if there were a way to specify, for
example, what sort of authentication you wanted to use (a la RedHat and
others I imagine) and have it work out of the box (or, if you will,
source).

For things like ldap, I would suggest maybe ldap_client and ldap_auth USE
variables. Is this a bad suggestion...?

I will attempt to document all that I actually had to do in order to get
LDAP authentication/autofs working in case anyone else is interested...

Cheers,

Gareth