List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] suggestion for FAQ
From:       Stuart Krivis <stuart () apk ! net>
Date:       2002-10-30 12:45:27

I've heard a number of people mention Gentoo and took a look at the web
site. The FAQ covers most things, but I did have some questions that might
be frequently asked.

Since I currently use Debian, and also have to use Red Hat, I have some
experience with their packaging systems.

Some software is only available in rpms or possibly debs. And some is
binary-only but in a tarball. I suspect binary-only applies mostly to
commercial software.

My question would be: How does Gentoo handle other package formats? Is
there a method for using rpms or debs? How close is Gentoo to other
distros in terms of installing something like Kylix?

Debian has alien and that works well enough that I am able to install and
run Applixware 5.

It isn't a _huge_ issue. I'm obviously already running a distro that is
not mainstream (ie Red Hat).

Stuart

--

Stuart Krivis    stuart@krivis.com