List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Installation Instructions improvements
From:       Andreas Karafyllis <ak_personal () onlinehome ! de>
Date:       2002-10-20 0:36:00

Hello everyone!

I installed before 2 days the 1.4-rc1 version (from the UT2003 CD) using an
ADSL connection and I would like to suggest some improvements and corrections
to the installation instructions. Before that, I would like to say THANK YOU
for this great distribution. Keep the good job. After testing the last years
a lot of different dists, I think that this time I found what I was looking
for.

I describe my suggestions under the title of the corresponding sections.

2.Booting
----------
I use a german keyboard (I am a Greek living in Germany :-)) and I was not
prompted to choose a keyboard layout after I logged in as described in this
section. This can be a VERY difficult situation for some people and certainly
a very bad first impression.

5. Configure installation networking
The instructions about the ADSL subscribers are a little bit confusing. There
is only a note which refers to another document. I think that this reference
make thinks complicated and should be removed. At this point you have to do
only "adsl-setup" and then "adsl-start" (net-setup eth0 was not needed in my
case). Therefore I suggest to remove this note and add a subsection for the
ADSL configuration using the following listing:
# adsl-setup
# adsl-start

14. Final steps: kernel and system logger
Many things here.
a) I decided initially to use the gentoo-sources. But when I was configuring
the kernel using "make menuconfig" I could not locate the XFS module (I
choosed the XFS filesystem for my root partition in the previous steps). You
should have a big warning here in which sources is available the XFS. Finally
I used the XFS sources of course.
b) The notes and warnings must be BEFORE the code listings. Many people (like
me ;-)) are not so patient and execute the listsings before reading all the
paragraph.
c) I realized later (after booting)  that my adsl connection was not working.
I suspected that probably I forgot something when I was compiling the kernel.
I booted with CD again, brought up the ADSL connection and made an lsmod to
see which modules are loaded. I realized that the problem was that when
compiling the kernel I did not included the "PPP support for async ports"
(ppp_async) and "PPP support for sync tty ports" (ppp_synctty). Both are
needed (and the pppoe of course)

Some final notes about the "emerge" now.
1. It is not very clear in the current man page of the emerge (and the portage
howto) how do you rebuild already installed packages after, for example, you
changes the USE options in the make.conf. After asking for help in the
#gentoo channel, they told me to use the -e or --emptytree option. I think
that --emptytree is not the most appropriate name for this thing (That's the
reason I missed it in the first place). You should provide an --rebuild alias
too.
2. What is the best way to uninstall packages ensuring that you do not break
depedencies? Please describe it in a clean way in the man page and the
portage howto. I am not sure about the answer yet :-(

I hope you will find useful my suggestions

Have a nice time!!

Andreas Karafyllis

PS: I found a bug also in the licq package but I will use the bugzilla for
this...